Saturday, July 25, 2015

Sorting Through the Mess

We're getting ready to start kindergarten this fall and as of right now, the house/school (homeschool, haha) are not at all where I want them to be. We have clutter everywhere and I'm going to work on paring down books and supplies so I can have easy access to the essentials. I'm going to work on an essentials list as I go and maybe alter it throughout the year. Right now, I'd like to depend a lot on our library (we have a great system here) and not try to store so many children's books.

I'm going to track my progress, partly as a way of planning out how I work and partly as a way of preventing me from impulsively buying stuff we "might" need. I like having clear spaces, clear desks, and the best way to do that is to not try to store or own so much. I also have a theory that kids need far less than what we think they do to learn effectively and the more stuff we have the more cluttered learning is, as well.

Right now, my goal is to clean up books in our study (which is also my husband's office) and clean out my art/school supply rubbermaid cabinet. I want it to be easy to get to important papers and supplies instead of a balancing act with lost or duplicate items and things prone to falling.

My ideal is good quality multi-use items, but I don't want to just buy "good" stuff when I have things here that might work, and I don't know what I have because I can't see it all.

Countdown to school: 36 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment