Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ideals and Reality

I didn't actually sort any books or work on the study yesterday. I really need to. I need to just start instead of distracting myself or waiting to feel like it. Usually, wanting to do something coincides with the baby waking up and then I'm kicking myself for using all the nap time for something pointless or wasteful. 

I've been thinking a lot though, before I start, about ideals and reality. I have an ideal, maybe just half formed, of what I envision a minimalist school to look like and then I have to match that to the reality of what we actually need. Sometimes we might need stuff that we have to work hard to keep from cluttering our space and that work is part of the process. Sometimes I cling to things because I think they match my ideal but they're actually just taking up space. I have to have a good idea of my motivations for keeping or discarding different items and this, hopefully, will also streamline our school spending-- we won't be buying duplicates of things we have or spend money on stuff we think we need just because it's a good idea. 

One thing I know will go is some of our art/painting supplies. We just don't use them and I have little desire to. I'll keep some though, even though I'm not a fan of messy projects, because I know the kids still need those experiences even if it's not my favorite activity. 

What things do you find yourself keeping because you feel like you HAVE to? Is it a good "have to" or a false expectations one? How do your ideals help you and how do they cripple you?


No comments:

Post a Comment